What Are The Keys To Playing Consistent Golf?
There is common sentiment among young golfers, “Some days I play great, then I play horribly in the next tournament.”
Consistency in your golf game is the key to getting to the next level.
The problem is that most golfers cannot point to the reason for their inconsistent play. Without knowing the causes of inconsistent play, it is difficult to remedy the situation.
What are the keys to playing consistent golf?
First, you need to understand that there will be good days and bad days on the golf course.
You cannot play at the same exact level every day. Even tour players have ups and downs.
The goal is to put yourself in position to play optimally every round.
The most important factor to playing consistent golf lies in your preparation and your preshot routines.
The more consistent you plan, prepare, and commit to your routines, the better your results.
To increase your consistency, you need to develop and implement a specific system that helps prepare you to golf your best every round.
Your system should include:
- Practice – Be consistent with every practice swing to develop the needed muscle memory for each hot.
- Pre-round Warm-up – Be consistent with how you get ready for each round. What are the exact things you need to do to move you into your competition mindset?
- Preshot Routine – Be consistent with your approach prior to each shot.
Deviation from you’re your routines can disrupt the flow of your game leading to inconsistent play.
8 Steps to Golfing with Greater Consistency
- Pre-Tournament Routine – Arrive early to the tournament to settle into routine. Take care of all the details of checking in and organizing your equipment.
- Warm-Up – Warm up the same way for every tournament. This will signal your body and mind of your readiness to play. This is not the try to try anything new. Stick to your tried-and-true method for preparing yourself.
- Game Plan – Create a strategy for playing each hole according to the course conditions.
- Preshot Routine – Maintain the same approach prior to every shot. Have a mental routine to help you plan, visualize, and trust your swing.
- Commit – Once you have decided on a strategy for your shot, commit to it.
- Trust – Trust your training, your abilities and, most importantly, your capability to hit your shot where you want it to go… then swing away.
- Emotional Control – If a shot goes awry, you may not like it… but get over it. A bad shot is not an indication that you are playing bad; it’s just an errant shot. Riding the emotional roller coaster is a consistency-killer.
- Now is the Time – During play is not the time to evaluate your progress, analyze your swing or project the final results. Stick to your plan… What do you need to do at this moment?
Consistent mental and physical preparation will help lead to more consistent golf.
Successful golfers have learned how to perform with ultimate confidence in competition. We’ve developed The Golfer’s Mental Edge Workbook and CD program to help you do this.
Learn Proven Strategies to Perform with Confidence!
Do you suffer from fragile self-confidence after missed hits, playing with strict or high expectations that undermine confidence or the inability to play freely and relaxed on the course?
If you suffer from lack of focus, low self-confidence or other mental game obstacles on the course, you cant reach your true golf potential…
What are students saying?
“The mental side is everything in golf—the ability to see your shot or line and trust that you can hit that shot or putt. Dr. Cohn has helped me trust my game and putting stroke.”
~Frank Lickliter, PGA Tour, Nike Tour Winner
“My confidence level has never been higher! I can’t tell you how clearly I was able to think during all four rounds of tour-school. The simple game plan you gave me really focused me. My confidence level has never been higher during a tournament. No matter how much pressure was on, I was able to control my thoughts and execute. Thank you Dr. Cohn!”
~Patricia Baxter-Johnson, LPGA Tour
Learn Powerful Golf Confidence Strategies!
What are customers saying?
“Dr. Cohn, my golf game has improved since the very first time I landed on Peaksports.com! You gave me just enough information to improve immediately! After that, it was a mere no-brainer to become a Peaksports Subscriber! Thank you for helping me improve my game and enjoyment – even overnight! You are right on!”
Boost Your Self-Confidence And Focus With Expert Mental Game Coaching!
Master mental game coach Dr. Patrick Cohn can help you overcome your mental game issues with personal coaching.
You can work with Dr. Patrick Cohn himself in Orlando, Florida or via Skype, FaceTime, or telephone. Call us toll free at 888-742-7225 or contact us for more information about the different coaching programs we offer!
What are our students saying?
“WOW!!! What a week I had. I was able to perform with a confidence that allowed my style to shine through–no more entering the arena with that “deer in the headlights” look or feeling. I stopped evaluating myself while I was performing, and I actually left the arena after my patterns feeling like I had experienced a lot of fun. Thank you so much.”
~Julia Dreyer, National Champion Equestrian